Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Back in the saddle again

How about those Pistons? Sorry Kobe and Shaq...have a nice day. You can see it in the eyes of the Pistons. They just wanted the championship a little more. What a great game.

Speaking of a great game. How about the fact that is has been a week since my last blog. so sorry. I will highlight the week prior:

Trip to CA

All my flights were screwed up due to weather. As you recall a huge storm front moved in and then moved in again over Michigan. My trip was to take me from Muskegon to Detroit then San Francisco. We were out on the run way when they announced that we would have to be re-routed thru South Bend. So we need more fuel. After we received more fuel, they announced the flight would be delayed due to weather. The delay lasted almost 3 1/2 hours. I was ready to drive to Grand Rapids and take another flight. After we arrived in Detroit (did I mention the Pistons won last night?), there was another storm. I sat in the airport for another 4 hours while the storm passed. Suck out loud. This give me much down time to think. This is usually a dangerous process. I reflected on career plans, ministry opportunities, family. I must just look like one of those guys who you can talk to because I never have a problem with people starting conversations with me. Except while I am in a public restroom. That is really weird. Anyway, I met two families in Detroit (Pistons rule!). One family was headed out to a vacation. The other had a recent death in the family and was headed to the funeral. It is interesting to me the dynamic of the conversations the would follow. The vacation family had not told their kids where they were going yet. Which, in fact, is awesome. The kids had no idea where they were heading. That was great. On the other coin, I saw God start to move with the other family. We talk at some length about the family member who died and tried to help process some feelings. We prayed. That was cool.

I have been recently challenged deeper by Deur's comments of "being the church". I know this is a process. It does not happened over night. But I do think we need to engage in the process. Embrace the journey. God is real and he is there to guide you down the path. He wants what is best for you. He is in relentless pursuit of you. Embrace the journey.

Work in CA

Well, things went well in CA. The commissioning and programming of the system was smooth. We will need to make one more trip out to finalize because this trip was premature. The project manager for the customer insisted on us being out this week. Apparently, he scheduled a training session for the customer at the end of last week. Unfortunately, the store does not open for another 4-5 weeks. Without the store setup, it is difficult to adjust the system - ie-volume levels. On an up note, the weather was awesome and I had a good time with the other person I was with from our company. And the Pistons won last night.

Arrived late Saturday. That was not cool. First, you are losing hours traveling west to east. Then there were flight issues. And it is a long flight. Not a good combination. Once again, a conversation was started with a guy next to me on the flight home. Another opportunity. We talked about each others lives and our reason for going to CA. He was returning to Canada from a wedding his niece just had. This opened up much conversation because he said, "I don't understand why people get married, anyway." There are several paths I could have took. I choose the one less traveled. He started to open up about a divorce he went thru, a family tore apart, relationships he had. The perspective was clearly a man broken by his own actions. As the conversation progressed, I was able to share own story and commented how God was there to get me thru. Wow. The conversation took a steep turn.

My mind races with possibilities. For me, it is not about always bringing up religion. It is important to be in the moment. As an audio professional, we look for those moments to highlight. A guitar solo, a vocalist solo. Those moments when an instrument needs to stand out. I call that "mixing for the moment". Paying attention to where the music is going to feel the solo that is about to happen. Then react. I think our relationship with God and others is the same. We need to pay attention to what people are trying to say. To watch the conversation and see where God is leading. Then react and be the church.

I better watch it.....I could preach a sermon.

Sunday Sunday Sunday

Ok. So I had a selfish desire. I receive a call from my daughter on Saturday that they were not leaving for their trip until Sunday. So I made arrangements to meet her on Sunday morning for breakfast. It was great to see her before she left. Since she would not be around for Father's day, she had a card and a gift for me. That was fun. We sat and talk; played cats cradle and made several "string" configurations. She is awesome and I really am enjoying watch her grow up.

Where I am at now?

This blog is getting way too long. Last night I met with some friends. Great time. Yesterday, I spent the entire day finding my desk and answering emails. And last night, the game. To the victors, the spoils.....

Tonight I am meeting with Pastor Dennis Jackson. Dennis is a great guy and an awesome leader. I have appreciated him on a professional, congregational and personal level. It is check in time for me and Dennis is a great one to check in with.

That's is. My fingers are tired from typing.

Congrats Matt and Heidi Furr on the birth of their new child. A shout out to Libby, my new niece! Rock on Libby!

Out.
Libby's uncle