Sunday, October 24, 2004

thoughts from the week

What a great gathering today.

Batman came to visit. We did our promo for the next sermon series. And Nate did a superior job. I am most pleased that there are even amounts of people in each gathering. I like it.

Core focus is going on. I did not go. I am a slacker. So I spent time with the Boo and carved some pumpkins.

I never see anyone I know at Meijers; until tonight. I saw Wade and Michelle & their new baby. It seems like alot of couples I know right is having children. Makes me think, I know what everyone was doing march of 2004.

Anyway, I have been thinking about this whole post modern time. I had a conversation about this with a friend of mine last week and he shed some light on it. We were bantering about the whole movement. He said something like we can never forget where we come from.

Which made me think about some things. I think as post modern christians we also get arrogant about what we are doing. We are so quick to comment about how the church is not doing things "right". How they do not know what they are doing. Blah blah blah.

I have issues with the organized church. But please do not mistake those issues. The church has been seeing people come to know Christ for a long time. And probably will continue to see people come to know Christ. Just because we drink flavored coffees and dress down at church, does not mean we are any better. I have been a believer for 21 years. In that period of time, I have seen swings in the church. For example, the rise and fall of choirs in youth ministry, the promise keepers movement, Willow Creek and the seek driven model just to name a couple. With each swing, leaders have said this is the "right" way. And yet, there is a new "way" every time we turn around.

I know that the gospel is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. I think the way we present it was be relevant to the society at hand. In addition, I think we cannot point fingers and create dissention because we think we are "doing it right".

I am not sure where I am going in this thought. It has been on my heart and thought I need to start working it out.

More later
C

No comments: